Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Saturday, October 18, 2008

To My Fellows



“We speak of “empowerment.” However, the greatest power on earth is the power of the individual, and that power can never be unleashed until there is a strong sense of personal responsibility.” I once read this very truthful and striking quote that extremely caught my attention. If I’m not mistaken, it was a Filipino writer/commentator who wrote and published it online but inadvertently I failed to recall his name. I really appreciated his brilliance in presenting his views all throughout the said article and I did agree with all the ideas he undoubtedly asserted.

Since my childhood, I used to update myself with all the happenings around me through the access of Newspapers, Radio, Television and currently the modernized Internet gadget. Partly, I would say that I have enough awareness of what is going on in and outside the country - Philippines.

I was employed as a government English Teacher in a secondary institution in my home province-Bukidnon for almost 4 years. However, due to some frustrations and unavoidable circumstances I decided to leave hoping to find my luck abroad. Any dictionary on earth would probably be ran out of words to describe how painful it was to leave my family and love-ones. I was really unsure and can’t even figure out what life awaits me abroad. There ain’t no other weapons I always carried myself except my genuine faith and my educational qualifications that somehow strengthened and encouraged me to be brave enough whichever part of the world fate may bring me.

Indeed, God’s power is really amazing! I haven’t had so much trouble in finding a suitable teaching job abroad. I’ve been to different International Schools in Malaysia and Thailand and fortunately I really honed so much knowledge and I also enhanced my craft. Currently, I am happily employed as English Teacher in a government secondary school here in Northern Thailand. Life is worth living here though I always missed my family and love-ones back home. Income is far better than my previous earnings in the Philippines and so far I am proud to say that I am living my life here full of contentment. No regrets and it really worth all the efforts and sacrifices.

Despite my absence from home, I still continued updating myself about Philippines. I have my own internet access 24/7, I watch Philippine local Television channels regularly and somehow it has given me extra comfort in fighting against “homesick”.

Apparently, crisis is now everywhere in the world. It is a very terrifying fact that the United States of America (USA), which is known to be the most powerful nation on earth is now struggling economic crisis. Whether we like it or not, it has affected the global community especially those petty countries which are extremely dependents from America.

It could be the most frightening situation and for sure this is now the right time for everyone to ponder. Definitely, Philippines is among the countries which is affected by the said phenomena though it has been struggling with its economy decades ago. It’s just too ironic and very unbelievable that the country’s vice-president, Mr. Noli de Castro was calling the attention of thousands of OFW’s based in the US, Korea & Taiwan to come home anytime they might loss their jobs. Is it really true that the government has prepared enough jobs for the prospect “Balikbayans” or perhaps it’s just his simple way of publicity for his political undertaking next election?

I don’t have anything or personal grudge against the vice-president nor do I have the right to condemn or to pre-judge the authenticity of his words but what I’m trying to depict is that every citizen of the country must stop relying from someone else whoever and whatever position they have in the government. Everyone must stop begging from the government, instead we must realize the fact that no one on earth is responsible for our lives but ourselves. I firmly believed that God has perfectly designed our respective fates, He’s the most perfect Architect ever and we’re the engineers of our own lives. Thus, our destiny merely depends on how we work for it. We must take full responsibility in everything we do.

To my dear parents, keep molding your children and keep sending them to school considering the fact that “education” is the most unbeatable weapon that would enable them to escape from the bondage of poverty.

To my fellow youths, be responsible enough. Maximize the utilization of God’s most precious gift - the gift of wisdom. Hold on to your dreams, always strive for the best and defeat every temptation that comes along your journey. Never be part of the country’s unending problems but instead try to contribute something in order to be part of the solution. We’ll prove to ourselves that we are really the backbone and the hope of the nation.

Remember, destiny isn’t a matter of chance but it’s a matter of choice!

No comments: